Language tutor Fiona Dunmore explains how learning Spanish can benefit your career and company
WE live on a small and still shrinking planet. It’s never been easier for a company to “go global” and many professionals are actively seeking jobs worldwide.
Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, spoken by 350 million people in Central and South America and Europe. By learning Spanish you will be able to communicate with more people, enhance your travel experiences, improve your employment potential and create many more opportunities for yourself.
With today’s global economy Spanish is the most adopted foreign language for international business. Companies need people who can communicate with customers abroad. Having knowledge of Spanish on your CV makes you an invaluable asset to potential employers, putting you way ahead of other candidates when applying for jobs or promotion.
Do you go on holiday to Spain and wish you could interact more with the locals? Wouldn’t it be nice to order your favourite meal in a restaurant or ask for directions when you are lost? Spanish people greatly appreciate any attempt at communicating in their language.
It’s never too early to start learning Spanish – research has shown the best age to start learning Spanish is between 3 and 6 years old. By teaching children to become bilingual in today’s global world we give them greater opportunities to reach their potential and to adapt to a changing society.
- Learn something new each day. Even common phrases like ¡Por supuesto! (Of course!).
- Learn with someone: a partner, a friend, children.
- Short but regular learning sessions (15-20 minutes).
- Think of the benefits: independence abroad, making new friends, greater choice of restaurants/bars.
- Get a good private tutor – they can be affordable and you learn a lot faster.
- Learning a foreign language can be challenging and frustrating but the progress you make will reflect the effort you put in. It can also be fun, rewarding and worthwhile!
- Click here to download an information leaflet.
Fiona Dunmore is a professional Spanish tutor based in Peterborough.